Friday 18 September 2015

Scott Morrison says Tony Abbott offered him treasury portfolio, deputy leader jobs on spill day

Extract from ABC News

Updated about 2 hours ago

Social Services Minister Scott Morrison has revealed Tony Abbott offered him the jobs of treasurer and deputy Liberal leader as the former prime minister tried to cling to his job before Monday's leadership coup.

Key points

  • Morrison says Abbott wanted him "to throw Joe Hockey under a bus"
  • Says Abbott offered him treasury, deputy leadership
  • Morrison voted for Abbott in leadership coup
Mr Morrison made the revelations during a combative commercial radio interview where he was repeatedly asked to swear on the Bible by host Ray Hadley.
Mr Morrison outlined how Mr Abbott wanted him "to throw Joe Hockey under a bus" by offering him the treasury portfolio on the day Malcolm Turnbull ignited the successful leadership challenge.
"The only person who offered me the job of treasurer before the ballot on Monday was Tony Abbott," he told Macquarie Radio.
"He offered me the job of treasurer hours out from that ballot. He'd never done that before, he'd never had a discussion with me before about being his deputy leader.
"I can't understand why I was being offered that job when he had showed such strong support for Joe Hockey — he was asking me to throw Joe Hockey under a bus."
Mr Morrison said he rejected both offers.
"I went and saw Joe Hockey and I told him that I wouldn't be taking his position after I told the prime minister that," he said.
"I didn't understand, if we were to be successful that night, how we would explain to the Australian people why he thought Joe Hockey was the best man for treasurer the day before and then I was the best man for treasurer the day after."
Mr Morrison also revealed he tried to warn Mr Abbott his leadership was under imminent threat.
"I said on Friday [September 11] to the Prime Minister's Office that I thought things were pretty febrile and they should be on high alert," he said.

Morrison rejects radio presenter's demand he swear on Bible

The influential NSW frontbencher voted for Mr Abbott in Monday's spill that saw Mr Turnbull claim the prime ministership.
Mr Morrison is tipped to be announced as treasurer in the new Cabinet, which is expected to be announced on Sunday.
But he has denied reports he did not encourage colleagues to join him in voting for Mr Abbott.
"I had no role in his demise," he said.
"If [colleagues] didn't want to vote for Mr Abbott and wanted to vote for Mr Turnbull, I should have got them to act like robots and do something against their judgement?" he asked rhetorically.
"They're their own people, they make their own decisions."
During the interview, Mr Morrison was urged to place his hand on the Bible while discussing his role in Mr Abbott's ousting.
"There's a Bible there, do you want to put your right hand on it and swear on that Bible?" Hadley asked.
Mr Morrison replied: "I don't have one mate, and there's not one here, and I don't see what my faith's got to do with it, Ray.
"You get to judge my policies, but you don't get to judge my faith, mate. I'm not going to use my faith as a stunt, mate, for the program.
"I will not be bullied when it comes to my religion or faith.
"If that's what you need then I don't think we have the relationship that you thought we had and I thought we had," Mr Morrison said, referring to the pair's regular interviews.

More details emerge of Turnbull's successful challenge

Education Minister Christopher Pyne said he voted for Mr Turnbull after switching support in the 24 hours before the ballot.
"[Tony Abbott] did have my support on Sunday night because there was no leadership ballot or challenge," Mr Pyne told Channel Nine.
"On Monday, when there was obviously going to be a ballot, I made an assessment about what was best for the country.
"A decision was made by my colleagues, and I as one of them, that Malcolm Turnbull was the person who could best position the government to win again and keep Labor out of office and deliver good government."
Mr Pyne said he was unaware of the plot until Julie Bishop told the former prime minister before Question Time on Monday he had lost support among his colleagues.
"She didn't speak to me to seek my view about that matter," Mr Pyne said.
Opposition Leader Bill Shorten labelled the latest information about the spill "finger-pointing" by Government ministers.
"The disunity and chaos of the Liberal Government has been on display for all to see," he said.
"The Liberals might've gone to a different corner of the ring but they're still fighting each other."

No comments:

Post a Comment