Monday 14 September 2015

Liberal leadership: Malcolm Turnbull tells Tony Abbott he will challenge

Extract from ABC News

Updated 21 minutes ago
Former Liberal opposition leader and communications minister Malcolm Turnbull has resigned from Cabinet in an attempt to force a leadership ballot.
He and Foreign Minister Julie Bishop met with the Prime Minister to request the leadership ballot earlier today.
"A little while ago I met with the Prime Minister and advised him that I would be challenging him for the leadership of the Liberal Party," Mr Turnbull told reporters at Federal Parliament.
"Now this is not a decision that anyone could take lightly. I have consulted with many, many colleagues, many Australians, many of our supporters in every walk of life.
"This course of action has been urged on me by many people over a long period of time.
"It is clear enough that the Government is not successful in providing the economic leadership that we need. It is not the fault of individual ministers.
"Ultimately, the Prime Minister has not been capable of providing the economic leadership our nation needs. He has not been capable of providing the economic confidence that business needs.
"Now we are living as Australians in the most exciting time. The big economic changes that we're living through here and around the world offer enormous challenges and enormous opportunities.
"And we need a different style of leadership."
Just hours earlier, Mr Abbott dismissed leadership speculation during a media event in South Australia.
"I just am not going to get caught up in Canberra gossip, I'm not going to play Canberra games," he said.
"I know that sometimes the media particularly like to play the Canberra game, but I'm not going to get involved with it.
"I'm just not going to chase all of these rabbits down all of the burrows that you are inviting me to go down, I'm just not going to play the Canberra games."
A number of senior ministers had foreshadowed the likelihood of leadership challenge before the end of the year.
"And this time I think they will get him," one minister said.
Mr Turnbull was opposition leader before he was unseated by Mr Abbott.

Breaking news in your inbox

Subscribe to get ABC News delivered to your email, including alerts on major breaking stories, plus the day's top news and analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment