Saturday 14 February 2015

Queensland election 2015: Independent MP Peter Wellington 'proud' to back Labor into office

Extract from ABC News

Updated
Independent Queensland MP Peter Wellington says he is proud that he is backing Labor leader Annastacia Palaszczuk to form a minority state government.
With all seats formally declared, Labor won 44 seats - one short of an outright majority.
Speaking shortly after Ms Palaszczuk left Government House on Friday afternoon as Premier-elect, Mr Wellington told the ABC it was a historic day and he was proud to play his part.
He said Ms Palaszczuk seemed excited as she spoke briefly to waiting media.
"And rightly so, when you think three years ago the challenges she's faced with her small band of members in Parliament," he said.
"To think they've slain the Liberal National Party, you know, they are now the Government of Queensland.
"I'm proud that I've supported Annastacia - and we won't agree on everything but I know her heart's in the right place and I certainly believe I've done the right thing for Queensland.

"She understands very clearly that if they choose to introduce laws into Parliament I'll be voting for them or against them according to how I think my constituents want me to vote.
"I've known Annastacia for many years and I feel confident that she will do the right thing, she will include us - Queenslanders - and I think it'll be a good government.
"I have confidence that under Annastacia's leadership we'll see a Government with stability, a Government that's going to include all Queenslanders and not a Government that's going to pick a fight with anyone who disagrees."
Mr Wellington said he and Ms Palaszczuk shared concerns on issues such as government accountability and the transparency of political donations.
"Getting rid of the Liberal National Party's secret donation laws, empowering our Crime and Corruption Commission to be a real watchdog with the powers that I know it can have - these are important issues," he said.

"In relation to any of Annastacia's legislative agenda, she knows very clearly that there's no certainty I'll be supporting any of those changes lock, stock and barrel."

No comments:

Post a Comment