Saturday 9 March 2013

The last Union prisoner released from St. Helena.


*THE WORKER*
Brisbane May 19, 1894


JOHN MACNAMARA.

Union Ex-Prisoner.
Released from St. Helena on April 27th 1894.

John M'Namara, or as he is well known by bushmen, “Happy Jack,” was arrested in Augathella on the 30th March, 1891, and was taken by the police on a journey of some 300 miles to Rockhampton. But perhaps we had better allow Jack to tell his own story: “There were 71 of us unionists riding from Blackall to Charleville to make a camp during the '91 strike. It was somewhat unfortunate for us that during our ride to Augathella, the grass on Lorne station caught fire – probably caused by the carelessness of some smoker, or by the usual natural causes which occasion bush fires. On arrival at Augathella, 23 of us were charged with rioting at Lorne, but this charge was with drawn. We were then charged with setting fire to the grass at Lorne. I was then charged in company with C. F. Latrielle with arson at Oakwood, but after waiting nearly five months we were acquitted on this charge. On leaving court Latrielle and myself were rearrested on the charge of arson at Lorne.
Arriving in Blackall in the middle of August, 1891, received a sentence of two months for being in the company of a man who called another a scab. C. F. Latrielle got a month also on the same charge. Latrielle and I were committed on five charges of arson, viz, setting fire to grass at Lorne, woolshed at Lorne, grass at Minnie Downs, grass at Ravensbourne, grass at Langlow Downs. Eleven others were also charged with the same offence, but I was the only one against whom a bill was filed. The jury found me not guilty of arson, but said I had aided and abetted, and I was sentenced to three years imprisonment.”

Yes,” said John, in reply to an inquiry; “although I was glad that their time had expired in November last, I did feel a bit lonely when my mates were released, because although within a gaol, yet we were a union amongst ourselves, and when they left I sadly missed their companionship.”
Did anything happen down on the island that you would care to make mention of?”
Yes; the treatment I received from Dr. Wray. You must know that, shortly after I was sent into the bootmakers' shop, I found that it was seriously affecting my health owing to the sedentary nature of the work, which I had not been used to; and, in consequence, I made application to be sent to outdoor work in the gangs. This was refused me, owing to the unfair representations of Dr. Wray, as I will show. I was therefore, kept in the shop. I then made application three different times to that gentleman for a change of diet, but he refused my requests, and afterwards denied that I made any such applications, and said he believed their was nothing the matter with me.”

What did you do, then?” “Why, I was compelled to apply to the Colonial Secretary, who stated he would send down another doctor to examine me.” “What was the opinion of the other doctor?”
I never saw any other doctor but Dr. Wray during the whole time I was on the island. I consider the Colonial Secretary very ungentlemanly in not keeping to his promise .”
What was the result of all this?” “Well, you see, shortly after my mates left the island, Dr. Wray, owing to my representations to the Colonial Secretary, gave instructions that I should be weighed. It was then found that I had lost 21lbs. Of my original weight. He then ordered me into probation, to be kept for a time under medical observation.”
Did you have a spell when you were on probation?”
Spell!” said Jack, “you would not call it much of a spell if you were locked up in such a small cell both day and night with only one hour's exercise during the day, and I truly hope you will never have to apply to Dr, Wray for any of his prison medical probation comforts.”
Did the doctor examine you the next time he went down to the Island?”

The reply received to this query was a very emphatic “No.” “But, said Jack, the time after when he came down I made up my mind that I would have no more to do with Dr. Wray even if my illness was to cause death. The consequence was that without seeing me the doctor gave instructions that I was to be sent to outside work, but it took him twelve months to find out what I told him was the cause of my illness at first, and I had to suffer all the time, but then perhaps the doctor wanted practice, you know, and what's the odds when a prisoner is the subject.”
What do you think then of the doctor generally, Jack? ”
What do I think of him? Why, I think he is a perfect autocrat, who is rather inclined to believe in the sufferings of a sick prisoner, as described by Deputy-Governor Hamilton, than the prisoner himself, who may be suffering extreme pain.”
Why do you complain so of the doctor Jack? ”
Because I have suffered under him, and although I am now free I cannot forget what others may suffer from this cause who are not free to state their case. Although they may be prisoners they are at the same time human beings, and I like to do them a good turn if I can without injuring anyone else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment