Wednesday 12 December 2012

A letter to the Editor

*THE WORKER*
Brisbane January 20, 1894

A LETTER FROM THE BUSH.

Under a Gum Tree.

Dear Worker, - In a paragraph in the Worker of 16th December you request bushmen to put ideas on paper and send to Worker. I think if some of us were to put our ideas on paper and that you published them you would have the Queensland Pinkertons around the office and yourself and staff would get the vacant stands left by Taylor and his mates on the “farm.”
To give you an idea of what some of us have to go through to get employment I will state my own case, which is not considered a bad one in comparison with others. I left off work on a station on the 15th Nov., 1892, after 12 weeks' work at finish of shearing, and after a few days spell started on the warpath with with bluey up, and only succeeded in getting two days' work in January. I called at all the stations and contractors' camps in the Barcaldine, Aramac, Isisford, Longreach and Blackall districts and could not get anything to do until the 1st May. I worked up till the 1st July and got discharged at finish of shearing. The first three weeks I was paid at the rate of 25s. per week, the balance during shearing 30s. per week. The next job I got was on September 2nd after walking 229 miles to get it, at a shed which lasted only four weeks and three days at 24s. per week. Since then I have done nothing but walk about the country looking for a thing called work but have not yet succeeded in finding it.

I have walked 600 miles and called at all the sheds, some of which I will name – Isis Downs, Malvern, Terrick, Lorne, Listowel, Boondoon, Gumbardo, Emudilla, Nickville (Tully's), Bulgroo Hammond's Retreat, Wilford, Gooyea, Milo and several others, and on the advice of a Mr. Jones went to all the contractors on the rabbit fence from Bulloo to the Cooper and did not get any work. 
( Mr. Jones, the fence inspector, said that he was going to write to the press contradicting the report about unemployed in this district). I think if the Government erected the rabbit fence and paid hands to do it, it would be the means of saving a good few thousand pounds in the near future as I saw a rabbit killed at the Gunadorah Hotel when I passed there six weeks ago, and the fence is not going on. I might also mention something as to the manner in which a station bearing the name of _____ is worked. At this station there were about ten to twelve natives (Black) working during mustering, including one gin bearing the aristocratic name of Judy, for over twelve weeks. I saw them when the owner hunted them off the run at the close of shearing. All the money the poor devils had was a cheque for about 30s., given to a blackfellow named Crow, for their twelve weeks' work, and I have been informed on very good authority that the owner requested them to come back next shearing – a really Christian act. I have worked three and a half months since November 18, 1892, and earned 17 pounds to clothe and feed me, and it is now three days from Christmas.

I think it is no wonder that the bush workers are not satisfied with the part they have to play in the drama of life, and grasp at any opportunity to better their condition of life even if it was the Active Service style or any other form that was offered them sooner than degrade themselves by begging from employers the right to earn what would keep them in comfort. I have met men in my travels these last few months, at most of the places I camped, that have not had a day's work this year, and others that have only had two, three, or four weeks' work. A person who read “Banjo” would hardly think it possible for a man to travel from year's end to year's end without getting work, and have to cadge his food from squatters, storekeepers and others to keep his body and soul together, but it's a fact which neither squatters nor working men can deny, I am sorry to say.
I hope you will excuse my letter; it is so near Christmas, and the thoughts of spending it under a gum tree with the possible show of some of us not having the ration bags full, is not much to look forward to – is not encouraging.
Wishing you and all unionists a merry Christmas and a better condition for all workers the coming year.

I am, &c.,
J.P.M.



No comments:

Post a Comment